Wednesday, May 22, 2013

TAKING TIME


Going to the gym last week, this sign was posted on the front door, and it stopped me in my tracks, making my heart happy.  A place of business (two locations actually) were closing so that all the staff could attend a co-worker's wedding.  How awesome is this?  Making time for community over making a buck.

I love a story in Julia Child's book "My Life in France" with a similar theme.  I'm going to butcher retelling this story, but the gist of it is that Julia's husband Paul was part of a US agency in France after WWII.  One of his responsibilities was to help local business people grow the post war economy of Paris. A Parisian restaurant owner was told she should increase her clientele in order to increase her profits. She scoffed at this, and dismissed the idea with the explanation that she had plenty of customers, made enough money, and still had time to enjoy life.  Why would she want to make more money?

In this new season, I have the luxury of time to think.  I've realized that  I don't need more time to do the things that are important to me.  I'm learning that the roadblock to doing the things I value is me, not lack of time. I'm never going to have more time.  My desire is to embrace what I value right now.  For my compulsive, structured little self, that means letting go of some of the structure to make room for the things, and most of all, people I value.  It means learning to embrace being spontaneous, and learning to simplify things I have made complicated.  How much is enough? What will give life to me and the people around me?  Think I'll close early today.


1 comment:

  1. AH, I needed to read this today. Thanks, mama.

    ReplyDelete