Tuesday, September 10, 2013

CHANGES

When I titled this blog "Season of Change", I had no idea what I was doing.  We had just retired from both our jobs, said goodbye to Brent's family and all our dear friends of many, many years, and moved over 500 miles for hubby to finish his MFT intern hours, and to live closer to half of our kids.  Five months later, we're moving again.  Ten minutes away.  Next door to our kids.

There is so much involved in this move.  The house we have been all dreaming about for over three years unexpectedly went on the market.  First at a price way out of our reach, but eventually ending at a price very close to the appraised value.  We've jumped through every hoop, and have given escrow everything but a blood sample.  Escrow finally closed August 30.  We're moving Saturday.

But the house is not the whole story.  The story is much deeper and richer. We have been city people our whole lives.  The house comes with 1.14 acres.  We were concerned, did we really want to maintain this much land?  Could we physically manage it? Country living is a whole new world of propane and septic tanks, goats and sheep for neighbors and frog control. Do the kids even want us this close? What. Are. We. Thinking.

Part of this journey involved putting in an offer on a pristine little house with a pool, in move-in condition, on the other side of town. Town living. After the offer was in place, we both realized, we were kinda sad.  We hoped we didn't get the house.  Fortunately, we didn't.

This whole process was a 30 day discernment of asking for guidance, and seeing the hand of God in the process.  There were many tiny little details that constantly confirmed that we were on the right path.  My process has been one of defining what I really want, identifying what is really important, and rediscovering long abandoned dreams.  When I think about what brings me joy, my first thoughts are of our kids, their spouses, and all the grandkids.  If only the Atlanta contingency could join us, life would be complete.  

What we have both come to realize is we wanted to invest in a lifestyle.  First and foremost, it's a lifestyle of relationship with our kids and grandkids. That meant no other house would really do.  I began to realize that no matter how beautiful a house looked, my heart was empty unless the house could facilitate closeness to the people I love.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I would have been heartbroken to let it pass by.  Oh, and in case you were wondering, the kids do want us close by.

This adventure also represents an investment into a physically active outdoor lifestyle, learning to develop and maintain our little acre.  And I have dreamed of having a little land since I was sixteen.  Now I'm reading about organic vineyards, hoping to plant one, and that it might yield a little vino in three years.  A few raised beds will also be part of my future.  I'm lucky to have my beautiful daughter as a mentor in this area.  I'm awakening to some long dormant excitement about bringing neglected parts of this land to life. I'm guessing this process can't help but awaken neglected parts of my little person as well.

And as a bonus, I've had the opportunity to spearhead every part of this home purchase, from securing a loan, to finding an agent, and working through the challenges of escrow.  This whole process has been healing for me from some very early internalized messages about how a woman functions in the world.  Healing, freedom, gratitude.

And so at 57, a new adventure.  We both know it's more than just proximity to the kids, and developing the land.  We're looking forward to new relationships and involvement in our new community.  Season of change, indeed.  I couldn't be more thankful.

Love from NorCalia,
Ma & Pa Scarborough
(Yep, that's the farm below)


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Though I live in Colorado, I have the same dream. It seems to be something that God is wakening in the hearts of His children. I am so very happy for you. I will pray for your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete